Thursday, September 20, 2012

Advanced Typography Final

I forgot how much I like typography.  My first typography class was 8 years ago (yikes!) and I'm taking the Advanced class now.  It's been very fun though, I didn't have to worry too much about my learning curve.

So now we have our Final Project to work on:  create your own typeface.  I was completely lost at first, but this is the sketch I came up with:


I wanted to do a Western theme, and as I researched most of the typefaces are bold serifs.  I went with a script typeface, but I wasn't sure how to make it work with the Western theme.  What I came up with here is a metal dipping, similar to the bold typeface Cast Iron, and the crosshatching or black part of the sketch will be Victorian lace of some sort.  The filigree portions will be metal as well.

My goal is to get the Western male and female aspects into one typeface.  I thought of one of those well dressed ladies toting a lil gun in her garter :)  Hopefully this translates well as I scan and work on it with Illustrator.  I'll post the final product soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment