Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sculpting

I enjoy sculpting and painting for one reason only:  zoning out.  I get completely wrapped up in the piece, and it feels good to do some artwork for myself.

The problem with that... I am extremely inefficient in that state.  I'm a slow-poke naturally, but I cause myself to spend a ridiculous amount of time with these projects.  I'll obsess over small details, and not pay attention to the time.  So I guess that's what turns me off from sculpting or painting.  I'm not particularly good with those mediums, but I keep at it for the therapeutic value.

Case in point: this lil guy took me 5 hours to do, and I havent even finished him yet!

Meet Fred, one of the cute lil monsters from Phone Case of the Month !  He took me so long because I screwed up on the proportions, and I was obsessing over his mouth and teeth.  Still needs work, but I'm done for the night.  I've got to walk away and come back to it before I screw it up worse.  After that is the baking and painting.

This was so much fun though!  I'd like to make a couple more and gift them to the creators of Phone Case of the Month :)  I just hope I can get it to them before Christmas! :D

2 comments:

  1. sweet! That's looks awesome. If you get bored with the physical model, you can always make a 3D model with Blender, and I can throw it into a game :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't touched 3D in awhile, last I worked with was Maya. I'll check out Blender though and maybe send something your way :)

      Delete